Burghley Horses: Ten Fun Facts about Hawley Bennett’s Gin & Juice
August 9, 2011 6:30 pm Posted by Patricia under Burghley Horse Trials
A few weeks away from the Burghley Horse Trials, everyone is excited for the competition to start.
At HJU, we’ve decided to lighten things up and feature some of the horses that will be at this prestigious event, not as top level competitors but as horses – with their unique quirks and personalities.
This series also shows that horses at the top level of the sport are loved by their riders (and grooms) not only for what they do, but for who they are.
Our second Burghley “spotlight” horse is Hawley Bennett’s Gin & Juice, her WEG 2010 partner and recent winner of the Rebecca Farm CIC*** .
Thank you Hawley for sharing these with us!
Horse: Gin & Juice
Barn name: Ginny
Nationality: American, but very proud to represent Canada
Owner: Hawley Bennett and Linda Paine
Rider: Hawley Bennett
1. Ginny wishes every day were Cross-Country Day!
2. I got the ride on Ginny because of her personality… which could be described as “a crazy mare”. As a spunky 5 year-old, she was competing at the Novice level and the person who rode her, had had enough and just handed me the reins at a show. I hopped on, rode her, we won the class and the rest is history!
3. If I ever have kids, Ginny will have taught me patience. I have been bucked off and hit the dirt more times than I can count, and have to jump-school her in full XC gear.
4. Ginny is extremely talented and athletic. Like a gymnast, she can move her body, turn and twist effortlessly. This is why she is so good cross-country, but bad because she can get me off in a second!!
A tomboy who looks cute in pink....
5. Ginny was bred at Kingsway Farm in Temecula, Ca. by Terry and Linda Paine, where we are still based.
6. During the day, she is the “Queen of the Turnout”, living in a field with 10 other horses that she bosses around. She has always lived outdoors, so I don’t want to change anything in her lifestyle.
7. Ginny decides when she comes in from the field… much to the chagrin of Natalia (her groom) and I!!
8. Ginny is like the Energizer bunny! I have to ride her 4 times before a dressage test… and after cross-country, she still has plenty of fuel in the tank. She doesn’t get tired. The Burghley hilly terrain will suit her perfectly.
9. I would describe her as a little tomboy, who can clean up really well! She loves getting muddy and dirty, but can clean up and run with the best of them.
10. She LOVES life and LOVES her job. She’s a very happy little horse! She has no idea that she’s only 15.3… some days, she thinks she’s King Kong!
Ginny and I are a fantastic combination. Years of sweat, blood and tears are paying off. It has been a long road with plenty of bumps, but I wouldn’t change it for anything. I think this is why Ginny and I have such a strong bond. We can’t wait to get to Burghley – where our goal is to have a quiet dressage test, clean and fast cross-country and finish in the top 5.
To get one (they are $30 + shipping), contact Gamal via email here or by phone/text 951-551-2132.
Gin & Juice Burghley hats (me wants one)
Go Canada!!! Go Hawley!!!!!!
Ok, couldn't resist. I just bought one!!!!
For more information about Hawley and Ginny – visit Hawley Bennett Eventing
Hawley and Ginny, we wish you safe travels to England (they’re leaving on August 26 via Amsterdam and the Chunnel). All Horse Junkies will be cheering you on for a fantastic Burghley finish…and a cross-country ride like this one!